- Predicted Species Reactivity:
- Kit Duration:
- < 4 Hours
- Additional Information:
Molecular Formula: C21H32O2
Molecular Weight: 316.483 g/mol
- Limit of Detection: 0.054 ng/ml
- Alias Symbols:
- Pregnenolone, 3beta-Hydroxypregn-5-en-20-one, Skinostelon, Pregnetan, Pregneton, Pregnolon
- Protein Name:
- Description of Target:
- A 21-carbon steroid, derived from CHOLESTEROL and found in steroid hormone-producing tissues. Pregnenolone is the precursor to GONADAL STEROID HORMONES and the adrenal CORTICOSTEROIDS. Pregnenolone is an endogenous steroid hormone synthesized from cholesterol, which can act either as a neuroactive steroid or as a prohormone for progestogens, mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, androgens, estrogens, and the neuroactive steroids.
- Sample Type:
- < 0.054 ng/mL
- Predicted Homology Based on Immunogen Sequence:
- Click here to download product manual. As variation between lots may occur, always reference the lot-specific manual received with each kit.
- Application Info:
- Application: Pregnenolone (3?-hydroxypregn-5-en-20-one) is the first steroid to be derived from cholesterol in the pathway of steroidogenesis, and it is the common precursor for all of the adrenal and gonadal steroids. Its production occurs in the mitochondrion by cleavage of the C-20 side chain of cholesterol by the P-450SCC enzyme. Once produced, pregnenolone may be utilized by two pathways of steroidogenesis. Pregnenolone may either be converted to 17-OH pregnenolone via the enzymatic action of 17?-hydroxylase or to progesterone via the enzymatic action of 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase.
Elevated pregnenolone levels occur in forms of congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), due to 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency or 17?-hydroxylase deficiencies. Higher levels have also been reported in women with idiopathic hirsutism. Studies on pregnenolone levels in regard to sex and age differences indicate that maximum levels occur at approximately 17 and 16 years of age for women and men, while minimum levels occur at approximately 37 and 38 years of age for women and men, respectively. In general, women were found to have slightly higher values when compared to men.
Many areas of pregnenolone physiology remain to be investigated. Current research indicates that the determination of pregnenolone in serum may be useful for studying its metabolite, pregnenolone sulfate, which has been reported to have various effects in the mammalian brain and central nervous system.
- Tips Information: