- NCBI Gene Id:
- Official Gene Full Name:
- glial fibrillary acidic protein
- Replacement Item:
- This antibody may replace item sc-115582 from Santa Cruz Biotechnology.
- Protein G Purified
- WB, ICC, IHC
- Tissue Tool:
- Find tissues and cell lines supported by DNA array analysis to express GFAP.
- RNA Seq:
- Find tissues and cell lines supported by RNA-seq analysis to express GFAP.
- Synthetic peptide; amino acids 411-422 (KTVEMRDGEVIK) of human GFAP (accession # P14136); 100% identical in rat and mouse. >50% identity with other proteins (Vimentin, Desmin and Peripherin).
- Predicted Species Reactivity:
- Human, rat, mouse
- Product Format:
- Liquid. Purified antibody supplied in 1x PBS buffer.
- Reconstitution and Storage:
- All conjugated antibodies should be stored in light-protected vials or covered with a light protecting material (i.e. aluminum foil). Conjugated antibodies are stable for at least 12 months at 4C. If longer storage is desired (24 months), conjugates may be diluted with up to 50% glycerol and stored at -20C to -80C. Freezing and thawing conjugated antibodies will compromise enzyme activity as well as antibody binding.
- 1 mg/ml
- 1:1000 WB
- Additional Information:
- Background Info: Detects a 50kDa protein in WB. Does not cross-react with GFAP-R416W or other proteins (based on KO validation results).
- Scientific Background: The 50 kDa type III intermediate filament protein glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) is a major structural component of astrocytes. GFAP associates with the calcium binding protein annexin II-p2 and S-100. Association with these proteins together with phosphorylation regulates GFAP polymerization. Astroycytes respond to brain injury by proliferatin (astrogliosis), and one of the first events to occur during astrocyte proiliferation is increased GFAP expression. Interestingly, antibodies to GFAP have been detected in individuals with dementia.
- Certificate of Analysis: 1ug/mL was sufficient for detection of GFAP R416WT in 20 ug of rat brain lysate by colorimetric immunoblot analysis using Goat anti-mouse IgG:HRP as the secondary antibody.
- Storage Buffer:
- PBS pH 7.4, 50% glycerol, 0.1% sodium azide
- Target Reference:
- 1. Velasco M.E., et al. (1980) Cancer. 45:484.
2. Bonnin J.M., et al. (1984) Acta Neuropathology. 62:185.
3. Lee VM-Y., et al. (1984) J. Neurochem. 42:25-32 (1984).
4. Trojanowski JQ et al. (1986) J. Neurochem. 6(3): 650-660 (1986).
5. Schmidt ML et al; Lab Invest 56:282-294 (1987).
6. Kosik KS et al; Neuron 1:817-825 (1988).
7. Schmidt ML et al; Lab Invest 59:460-466 (1988).
8. Mokuna, K, et al: J Neurosci Res 23:396 (1989).
9. Molenaar, et al; Exp Neurology 108:1-9 (1990).
10. Tohyama T et al; Am J Pathol, 142:871-882 (1993).
11. Tohyama T et al; Am J Pathol 142:883-892 (1993).
12. Thilenius, A.R.B., et al; J. Immunol. 162(2): 643-650 (1999).