- Gene Symbol:
- NCBI Gene Id:
- Official Gene Full Name:
- Superoxide dismutase 2, mitochondrial
- Protein Name:
- Superoxide dismutase [Mn], mitochondrial
- Swissprot Id:
- Protein Accession #:
- Nucleotide Accession #:
- Alias Symbols:
- IPO-B, MNSOD, Mn-SOD, IPOB, MVCD6
- Replacement Item:
- This antibody may replace item sc-113078 from Santa Cruz Biotechnology.
- Description of Target:
- SOD2 is a member of the iron/manganese superoxide dismutase family. SOD2 is a mitochondrial protein that forms a homotetramer and binds one manganese ion per subunit. This protein binds to the superoxide byproducts of oxidative phosphorylation and converts them to hydrogen peroxide and diatomic oxygen. Mutations in this gene encoding SOD2 have been associated with idiopathic cardiomyopathy (IDC), premature aging, sporadic motor neuron disease, and cancer.This gene is a member of the iron/manganese superoxide dismutase family. It encodes a mitochondrial protein that forms a homotetramer and binds one manganese ion per subunit. This protein binds to the superoxide byproducts of oxidative phosphorylation and converts them to hydrogen peroxide and diatomic oxygen. Mutations in this gene have been associated with idiopathic cardiomyopathy (IDC), premature aging, sporadic motor neuron disease, and cancer. Alternate transcriptional splice variants, encoding different isoforms, have been characterized.
- Protein Size (# AA):
- Molecular Weight:
- Affinity Purified
- Tissue Tool:
- Find tissues and cell lines supported by DNA array analysis to express SOD2.
- RNA Seq:
- Find tissues and cell lines supported by RNA-seq analysis to express SOD2.
- The immunogen is a synthetic peptide directed towards the N terminal region of human SOD2
- Species Reactivity:
- Cow, Dog, Goat, Guinea Pig, Horse, Human, Mouse, Rabbit, Rat, Sheep, Zebrafish
- Predicted Homology Based on Immunogen Sequence:
- Cow: 100%; Dog: 100%; Goat: 100%; Guinea Pig: 100%; Horse: 93%; Human: 100%; Mouse: 93%; Rabbit: 100%; Rat: 100%; Sheep: 100%; Zebrafish: 86%
- Complete computational species homology data:
- Anti-SOD2 (ARP58529_P050)
- Peptide Sequence:
- Synthetic peptide located within the following region: MLSRAVCGTSRQLAPVLGYLGSRQKHSLPDLPYDYGALEPHINAQIMQLH
- Product Format:
- Liquid. Purified antibody supplied in 1x PBS buffer with 0.09% (w/v) sodium azide and 2% sucrose.
- Reconstitution and Storage:
- For short term use, store at 2-8C up to 1 week. For long term storage, store at -20C in small aliquots to prevent freeze-thaw cycles.
- Batch dependent within range: 100 ul at 0.5 - 1 mg/ml
- Protein Interactions:
- CYP4F12; UBC; SOD2; SOD1; APP; NABP2; TBL2; ZC3H11A; VAPA; STX7; UBL4A; ALDH5A1; USP36; H2AFX; SUMO1; NOL12; HDHD2; GET4; RPS3A; RAB4A; AURKA;
- Blocking Peptide:
- For anti-SOD2 (ARP58529_P050) antibody is Catalog # AAP58529 (Previous Catalog # AAPP34826)
- Printable datasheet for anti-SOD2 (ARP58529_P050) antibody
- Target Reference:
- Martin,R.C., (2008) DNA Cell Biol. 27 (6), 321-323
Researcher: The University of Queensland, School of Medicine, Centre for Kidney Disease Research
Application: Western blotting
Species + Tissue/Cell type: Human HK2 cell (kidney proximal tubular cell line)
How many ug's of tissue/cell lysate run on the gel:
1. 40 ug HK2 cell (kidney proximal tubular cell line)
2. 40 ug H2O2 treated human HK2 Cell lysate
3. 40 ug H2O2 treated human HK2 Cell lysate
4. 40 ug H2O2 treated human HK2 Cell lysate
5. 40 ug H2O2 treated human HK2 Cell lysate
6. 40 ug H2O2 treated human HK2 Cell lysate
Primary antibody dilution: 1:1000
Secondary antibody: Goat anti-Rabbit HRP
Secondary antibody dilution: 1:2000
|How do Aviva's reagents play a role in your experimental goals?||Determine their expression levels in response to oxidative stress.|
|How would you rate this antibody on a scale from 1-5 (5=best) and why?||4.5 - very specific band found at 24 kDa.|
|Would you use this antibody in future experiments?||Yes|
|Have you used another antibody which has worked in your application?||Yes, but your antibody produced a cleaner result.|
|Do you believe the information about the reagent on Aviva's website is correct?||Yes|
|If the antibody works, do you plan to use it in future experiments or to publish your data? Why or why not?||Yes, SOD2 expresson is very important in oxidative stress research.|
|How did you store the antibody after re-suspension?||Aliquoted for single use at -20 degree Celsius.|
|Sample Description, Species, Tissue/Cell Type:||Human. HK2 cell (kidney proximal tubular cell line). 40 ug|
|How many different experimental trials were conducted using the antibody sample?||1|
|What type of experimental sample are you using and how did you preparing it?||HK2 cells were grown in 10cm cell culture dishes in Dulbecco's modified Eagle's Medium: Ham's F-12 (DMEM/F12) containing antibiotics Penicillin (1000 U/ml) and Streptomycin (1000 ug/ml), and fetal bovine serum (FBS) and allowed 24h to adehere. Cells were exposed to hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) diluted in growth media at 0.2, 0.4, 0.6. 0.8, 1.0 mM for 2h.|
|Primary used and dilution:||1:1000; overnight (approx 18h) at 4 degree celsius.|
|Secondary used and dilution:||Goat anti-rabbit IgG Horseradish peroxidate conjugate(G21234) (Molecular Probes-Invitrogen), 1:2000, 1h at RT.|
|What controls were used in your experiment? Please include your positive control:||Untreated cells.|
|Experimental Procedure/Protocols:||Cells were placed on ice and washed X3 with cold phosphate buffered saline (PBS), then scraped into radio-immunoprecipitation assay (RIPA) cell lysis buffer (0.15 M sodium chloride, 0.025 M sodium fluoride, 0.5 M ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid), 0.1% sodium dodecylsulphate (SDS), 1.0% lgepal in 50 mM Tris-Cl, pH 7.5) containing phosphatase and protease inhibitors (10 ug/mL aprotinin, 10 ug/mL leupeptin, 1mM sodium orthovanadate and 100 ug/mL phenylmethylsulfonyl chloride). After cell lysis by sonification, cell debris was removed by centrifugation (13,000 g, 20 min, 4 degree C). Protein concentration was determined using a Pierce bicinchoninic acid (BCA) protein assay and spectroscopy at 540 nm. Cell lysate was snap frozen in liquid nitrogen and stored at -80 degree c.40 ug of each protein were loaded into seperate lanes of a 10% sodium dodecylsulphate (SDS)-polyacrylamide gel and electrophoresed using Bio-Rad equipment, then electrophoretically transfered onto PVDF membrane. Bio-Rad Precision Plus Protein Kaleidoscope (Cat#161-0375) was routinely used as a protein size marker. To inhibit non-specific binding, membranes were first soaked in a blocking solution of 5 % skim milk in Tris-buffered saline (TBS) with Tween-20 pH 7.4 (TBST) (5% blotto) for 1 hour. Membrane were blotted with the primary antibody provided. Primary antibodies were diluted in a 1% blotto solution and incubated for 18-24 h at 4 degree C. Membranes were washed X3 in TBST for 5 min. Goat anti-rabbit IgG-HRP-conjugated secondary antibody diluted at 1:2000 in 1% blotto was used for 1h at RT. Protein bands were visualised using enhanced chemiluminescence and X-ray flim. Developed flims were scanned using a Canon Canoscan 8400F at 300dpi.|
Researcher: Manisha Nautiyal, Hypertension and Vascular Research Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Application: Western blotting
Species + Tissue/Cell type: Rat dorsal medulla brain & cortax + hypothalamus extract
How many ug's of tissue/cell lysate run on the gel: 1. 40ug rat dorsal medulla brain extract 2. 20 ug rat cortax + hypothalamus mitochondria extract
Primary antibody dilution: 1:2500
Secondary antibody: Anti-Rabbit HRP
Secondary antibody dilution: 1:5000
How do Aviva's reagents play a role in your experimental goals?
To determine oxidative stress status in our animal models.
How would you rate this antibody on a scale from 1-5 (5=best) and why?
4- we see bands at expected MW about 24 kDa, however we do see some non-specific bands at higher MWs.
Would you use this antibody in future experiments?
Have you used another antibody which has worked in your application?
If the antibody works, do you plan to use it in future experiments or to publish your data? Why or why not?
Sample Description (please include 1) species type, and 2) cell/tissue type, and 3) how much protein loaded for each lane of your gel):
Rat brain: lane #1 is dorsal medulla tissue extract (40 ug) and lane # 2 is isolated mitochondria from rat brain cortex and hypothalamus pooled (20 ug).
How many different experimental trials were conducted using the antibody sample?
What type of experimental sample are you using and how did you preparing it?
"Lane # 1: homogenize brain dorsal medulla in 20mM potassium phosphate buffer, pH 7.0 with 1mM EGTA and Sigma protease cocktail inhibitor; and prepare samples in Laemmli buffer for WB
Lane # 2: isolate brain mitochondria (cortex and hypothalamus pooled) and prepare samples in Laemmli buffer for WB"
Primary used and dilution:
1: 2500 in 5% milk-TBST (0.05% Tween) for overnight at 4 degrees.
Secondary used and dilution:
1: 5000 anti-Rabbit HRP in 5% milk-TBST for 2 hrs at room temperature.
"Gels: (cat#161-1155, BioRad) Ready Gel Tris-HCl Gel, 10% resolving gel, 4% stacking gel, 10-well, 50 ul,
Running buffer: BioRad cat # 161-0732 : 1X Tris/Glycine/SDS: run gels for 70 min at 120 V
Transfer buffer: BioRad cat # 161-0734 : 1X Tris/Glycine with 20% methanol: Transfer for 1 hr at 100V
Blocking buffer: 5% milk in TBS-Tween (0.05%) for 1 hr at room temperature
Primary antibody: overnight at 4 degrees
Wash 3 times with TBST for 10 min per wash
Secondary antibody: 2 hrs room temperature
Wash 3 times wiht TBST for 10 min per wash
Develop bands with chemiluminescent substrate (Pierce: SuperSignal West Pico Chemiluminescent Substrate)"
What controls were used in your experiment? Please include your positive control:
Tissue (positive), mitochondria (negative).
How did you store the antibody after re-suspension?
In water, at -80 degrees.